Effect of High-Heels on the Feet
For many years, women have been wearing various kinds of high-heels for aesthetic reasons or as a fashion statement. Wearing high-heels make them appear taller, have longer and thinner legs, though through the course of time the wearer’s gait and posture changes. High-heels are a mark of femininity and have been popular since many years. There are some significant health issues associated with wearing high heels.
Gait (the way we walk) which means cyclic voluntary movement of head, trunk and body with minimal use of energy in order to propel the body from one point to another. Gait Biomechanics is an important aspect and there are gait labs in developed countries where we motion analysis is conducted to understand gait cycle in a better way.
The motion of the ankle joints is limited when heels are worn. The ankle joint is important to the body when it comes to walking because of their location.
Wearing high heels; good or bad?
Why Ankle Joints are important?
Ankle joints have immense amount of weight put on them. Thus, it is important to keep them as healthy as possible. The Achilles tendon is the most vital tendon in the ankle. It’s been observed that when you frequently wear high-heels it can cause the calf muscle and Achilles’ tendon to stiffen and shorten.
Foot pain caused by high heels
By putting a great deal of pressure on the ball of the foot (front of the foot) and by forcing the toes into a small toe box, high-heels can cause or may worsen many foot problems causing issues.
Effects of wearing high heels on feet
Problems caused by high-heels
- Morton’s neuroma
- Plantar fasciitis
How heels affect your body?
- Wearing high-heels doesn’t only affect the feet, but the rest of the body also gets adversely affected.
- Knee joint is the most important part of our body and can be affected by wearing high-heels as it causes the knees to be bent all the time.
- They can also cause the knees to be bent inwards.
- Due to constantly wearing high-heels women can suffer from osteoarthritis later in life.
- High- heels restrict the natural motion of the foot while walking causing an increased stress on the knees. They can also cause the back to go out of alignment.
- Constantly wearing high heels can harm the ability of the spine to absorb shock and that can hurt your back.
- The vertebrae of the lower back compresses and the back muscles are overused.
However, this is not to say that high-heels can never be worn. If worn occasionally and not often, they will not cause serious problems. They should not be worn every day. Wear them occasionally to avoid issues and health problems in the long run as mentioned above.
The best legs treatment and heel pain treatment in Bihar, Patna is now available at AIOR – Anup Institute of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation https://www.aior.co.in/best-orthopedic-hospital.php. Know about Heel pain: Causes, prevention, and treatments by connecting with the AIOR team.